Jada Pinkett Smith Cast as Rapunzel in Live-Action Tangled

Disney casts Jada Pinkett Smith as Rapunzel in new live-action Tangled movie

Disney continues to pump out subpar live-action versions of their classic movies. The Little Mermaid is of course the most recent. Prior to that, we saw Pinocchio and The Lion King. Both are objectively terrible remakes and a disgrace to the original animated film. However, Disney doesn’t learn. In fact, a live-action remake of Tangled is in progress and Disney cast Jada Pinkett Smith to play Rapunzel.

Disney casts Jada Pinkett Smith as Rapunzel in new live-action Tangled movie
Disney casts Jada Pinkett Smith as Rapunzel in new live-action Tangled movie

As a refresher, here is the plot of Tangled, per Disney’s website. “When the kingdom’s most wanted, and most charming, bandit Flynn Rider hides in a mysterious tower, the last thing he expects to find is Rapunzel, a spirited teen with an unlikely superpower: 70 feet of magical golden hair! Together, the unlikely duo sets off on a fantastic journey filled with surprising heroes, laughter and suspense.” Well, we just learned that Jada Pinkett Smith has been cast to play Rapunzel in the new live-action version of the movie.

Disney Live-Action Casting Choices

Disney continues to make headlines with casting choices in their live-action films. When Disney decided to cast Halle Bailey as Ariel in The Little Mermaid, it came as a surprise to many. It blew up the internet and sparked a massive discussion. People on both sides felt passionate about the casting choice by Disney. However, they’ve gotten more controversial since.

Disney continues to make interesting casting choices
Disney continues to make interesting casting choices. For example, Snow White. Photo via TMZ

We recently saw leaked photos of the new live-action Snow White. This caused less debate but rather created more confusion. A leaked picture of Snow White with her “dwarves” on set went viral. Instead of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, it was Snow White and the Seven Diverse, Non-Short People, Except One. Twitter was all over this weird decision with memes after this leak. Now, Disney is walking into memeland again with their live-action Tangled casting announcement.

For those not familiar, Jada Pinkett Smith suffers from alopecia. According to the NIH, “Alopecia areata is a disease that happens when the immune system attacks hair follicles and causes hair loss. Hair follicles are the structures in skin that form hair. While hair can be lost from any part of the body, alopecia areata usually affects the head and face.” This is a very unfortunate disease and joking about it is a one-way ticket to a slap across the face from Will Smith.

Jada Pinkett Smith Cast as Rapunzel

The casting choice of Jada Pinkett Smith playing Rapunzel is an interesting one, to say the least. According to an internal source, Jada will not wear a wig nor grow out her hair for the movie. Rather Disney will adapt the movie storyline in order to be more inclusive to all, especially those that suffer from various diseases which cause hair loss. On another note, Channing Tatum will play Flynn Rider, but that’s for a different day.

Will Smith is coming after us for this article
Will Smith is coming after us for this article

This announcement comes as a surprise to most people until they realize that Disney is changing all of their movies for the sake of inclusivity. People are asking if it can really be Rapunzel without the hair. But Disney shows they don’t care as they just cast Snow White and the Seven Dwarves without seven dwarves. This is absolutely in Disney’s wheelhouse and shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Disney will continue to modify and adapt their movies to ensure a more inclusive representation. Even if it doesn’t make sense in the context of their original film or if it hurts them at the box office. In fact, we expect to see a lot more of this over the next few years. There are even rumors that the live-action remake of Up will cast Dug as a cat instead of a dog in order to be more inclusive as well.

What do you think of Disney casting Jada Pinkett Smith as Rapunzel in Tangled? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Make Sure to Follow Us and Subscribe to our Emails!

To stay up to date on more very real Disney news like this totally made-up story, be sure to follow Mouse Trap News on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Please consider joining our email list below to get all of our stories sent directly to your inbox!

Notify of

clarity penkins
clarity penkins

this article is satire

SJ Haus
SJ Haus
8 months ago

Rapunzel is a teenager. Smith is an old gal. Seriously?

Mickey
Mickey
Reply to  SJ Haus

This is a joke!

Jeebus
Jeebus
8 months ago

Disney is destroying itself with these adaptations, idc what you think or if mY emails are spammed with hate, we don’t need a bald rapunzel, we don’t need a black Ariel, and we don’t need an Indian SNOW WHITE, if you’re going to make a live action adaptation stop going woke and stick to the source material, inclusivity is one thing but completely changing characters and the story for the sake of pleasing a woke community is going to end in disaster, it would of been better to simply include new characters in the movies for inclusivity that wouldn’t effect the main story by any means, so yeah there’s my 2 cents, this inclusivity crap is getting outa hand with these live action remakes

Bre
Bre
Reply to  Jeebus

THIS. I absolutely agree. All for inclusion but this bs is getting out of hand.

Urmomlovesmemorethanyou
Urmomlovesmemorethanyou
Reply to  Jeebus

Wait what did the Little Mermaid being black change about the story at all tho? It almost perfectly imitated the original movie?

idk
idk
6 months ago

Excatly Little Mermaid 2023 is one of my favourite movies of all time and I love the cast!

ummmmmmmmmm...no
5 months ago
Reply to  idk

I don’t really think it’s that. The casting is great and all, I just think people are angry that Disney made a white princess black when they could’ve just made a new black princess.

Gianna
6 months ago
Reply to  Jeebus

I thought Florence Pugh was gonna play Rapunzul

Poppy
Poppy
6 months ago
Reply to  Jeebus

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Disney, y’all need to stop this shit

Opionated
Opionated
1 month ago
Reply to  Jeebus

I don’t have an issue with it as long as it doesn’t matter to the original character. Snow White had skin as white as snow, a race change would be weird. Ariel was a mermaid who wanted to discover things on land, a race change could work because it’s not important to her character. Rapunzel’s hair is her thing, it’s vital to her character and casting someone bald in that role is stupid. If they continue these logic-less live-action remakes, we’re going to have a white Tiana.

Bruh fr
Bruh fr
8 months ago

Ahahaha this has to be a prank

AJay
AJay
8 months ago

Well you ruin the movies and Jada should be banned from everything. She ruined Will now she is going to ruin a simple classic style movie with her bs!

LeVerna Barlow
LeVerna Barlow
8 months ago

What a joke. The story of Rapunzel is BASED on the powers OF her HAIR! This nonsense is going too far.

clarity penkins
clarity penkins
Reply to  LeVerna Barlow

this is a satire article

That One Guy
That One Guy
Reply to  LeVerna Barlow

Yes and no. I agree absolutely to stick to the source material of the animated tangled movie since that’s what it’s based on, but Rapunzel never originally had magic hair, only long blonde hair (and actually wasn’t even a princess but the daughter of a normal dude and his wife). It was her tears that were magic.

Ryan
Ryan
8 months ago

To be clear, you scrolled past the words Disneyland on Mars and still thought this was real?

Anon123
Anon123
7 months ago

You guys, this is satire. Florence Pugh will be playing rapunzel.

I was going to roast y’all for thinking this is real, but after the snow white controversy I could understand why people would think this is real… I mean the part about jada not growing out her hair perfectly mirrors the snow white controversy. This is gold but also kinda sad at the same time.

I wish disney would stop making remakes but taking away the key identifiers of each character.

Shannon
Shannon
7 months ago

I have Alopecia, my daughter is who told me about this. It’s REALLY stupid. 1st, the whole point is her hair! I don’t feel “excluded” because Rapunzel has that hair… which might I add is not even realistic anyway… I guess the writers ran out of ideas to make new movies in general, instead of mutilating the past versions. JUST STOO ALREADY

Canfield
Canfield
7 months ago

I just really hope this isn’t real. 1) Rapunzel was young and Jada is not. 2) having the story have nothing to do with her hair not only changes the story made by Disney but it completely changes things from the original story! Again if they want to be more inclusive then why not make a completely new story!!! If Rapunzel isn’t going to have hair then what is going to be the motive for Gothel to capture her? What is her scalp going to glow and give off rejuvenating powers…are people going to just touch her head and be healed…that is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

AppleMartini5
AppleMartini5
7 months ago

Why NOT CHANGE the names, & introduce new characters, if completely changing the look of the main character? Personally I would rather watch a, similar storyline, with different names, with an “inclusive narrative” which could be more relatable, or enjoyable for the “inclusive” and non inclusive, rather than TAKING away from & trying to erase the “original” movies. Example: the remake of, The Parent Trap… similar storyline however, NAMES were CHANGED, new characters added, thus creating two separate enjoyable “originals.” Makes one ponder, if Disney writers are being lazy, or Disney is being greedy and just wanting to make money off “inclusive” groups?

Neeeesa
Neeeesa
7 months ago

This is absolutely ridiculous. So now we have to change fairy tale stories into PSA…. if that’s the case then I want to see Princess Tiana played by a white Jewish man battling prostate cancer .

Becca
Becca
7 months ago

Love the actress but not as Rapunzel.. how can Rapunzel let down her hair if she’s not wearing any hair..its not Repunzel then!

rebecca.smith@gmail.com
rebecca.smith@gmail.com
7 months ago

This is a joke. Rapunzel is 16. I am over the woke culture. Jada is not the role model I want my kids watching. I am so glad I never wasted my money going to Disney and now I never have to.

Ur gay
Ur gay
7 months ago

Rapunzel is literally a young woman. She is only 18 in the classic movie Tangled. The whole point of the story is that she has long healing hair that an evil witch stole for herself to keep her young. Jada Smith doesn’t have long hair or hair at all. What is she going to do? Magic healing nose?

Whyyyyyyyyyy
Whyyyyyyyyyy
7 months ago

Rapunzel is a teen. She has hair. Her hair is magical and heals. This is part of the main story line. Jada Smith doesn’t even have hair. No offense to her but that kind of destroys the story completely. What is she going to have? A magic nose?

Bleugh
Bleugh
5 months ago
Reply to  Whyyyyyyyyyy

lol my friend and I were talking about how she could have a magic, forehead, that would be like a female Megamind with a bigger forehead. She would stick her head down and Flynn Rider would say “Rapunzel Rapunzel, let down your head!”

Ashley
Ashley
7 months ago

its funny no what gets its a joke

S Prew
S Prew
7 months ago

Isn’t she the one who condones violence and makes her husband punch people cause she’s bald!! Asking for a friend! Another Disney movie I don’t have to see!

Nanya Beeswax
Nanya Beeswax
6 months ago

They would have been better casting Mandy Moore as she was the original Rapunzel in Tangled.

Chiky23
Chiky23
6 months ago

Hell no this women is old as hell and that princess is young. Why does Disney do this I’m not seeing another Disney movie until Disney wakes up and stops the woke diversity shit. Non of the generation of my family from me and on will see Disney again as long as they keep going woke there are a lot of girls out there to play this part and the character is white .

K C.
K C.
6 months ago

If they do cast Jada Smith I know a number of people won’t go, she’s to old the play rapunzel

Mina
Mina
6 months ago

I grew up on this movie and now they’re making an old bald girl play it I cant

jeremy
jeremy
6 months ago

this is an absolute joke.
go woke go broke

anonymous
anonymous
6 months ago

NARRRRR she’s like like over 50

ummmmmmmmmm...no
5 months ago

Disney ruining Tangled for me is gonna be the last f******* straw.

Eve
Eve
5 months ago

I think if they wanted to cast Jada they should of casted her as the villain instead of rapunzel. It would make so much more sense for her to play the villain so she picks the flower to give rapunzel because she wanted her hair to grow and be powerful. I understand being more inclusive don’t get me wrong but to completely change the very loved story is just wrong. You want to be inclusive ADD NEW CHARACTERS TO THE ORIGINAL STORY. Or cast different people to play as background characters. The whole story is about having magical hair. There will be a lot of people who won’t watch this movie. “Let down your golden hair!” What is she going to let down rope!? If she had rope she would just leave the tower what next her chameleon is going to be a parrot!? Seriously keep the story how it originally was or get more creative.

Bleugh
Bleugh
5 months ago

I mean, I love Rachel Zegler, but Snow White is named after her skin being white as snow, her lips being as red as blood, and her hair as black as ebony. Her skin definitely isn’t white as snow. Also, if you want to have a princess with alopecia, create a new one. Disney helped bring these beloved, classic characters to life (as cartoons), and now they are ruining it for us. I’m sure that parents would want to have their children come to know the characters that they loved as children. At Disneyland, are you going to have someone dress up as Jada Pinkett Smith?

Not happening
Not happening
5 months ago

Why can’t they just leave stuff alone they don’t need to make everything love action and if they do at least cast people that I don’t know ACTUALLY LOOK THE PART! The actress who played in mama mia would be a better fit than this

EMMA
EMMA
4 months ago

HORRIBLE

Brianna Youngson
Brianna Youngson
2 months ago

What the hell. Why not make new Disney stories instead of ruining original ones?